Wednesday, April 27, 2011

1985 September/October issue Part 3

Letters

From Washington state: "I have felt in my heart since seventh grade that above all else I want to follow God. It might be hard or scary, but what better place to be than in God's arms when the road gets bumpy and dark? Thank you for encouraging me in this commitment."

From the midwest came a long letter, telling me the story of many ups and downs, off agains, on agains, with a certain man. "I read your book Passion and Purity, and vowed I would be that way ... For the last nine
months of our relationship we had intercourse. I knew it was wrong and felt guilty about it but I loved him and wanted to be with him ... Suddenly he ups and decides to drop me and everything he ever had in Christ. How I wish I could change what I've done. I feel so ashamed and foolish. Angry at him because I feel betrayed and used. I was so vulnerable, so trusting, and he just booted me right out of his life I've begun reading your book all over again. This 'lovelife' of mine has certainly been a'crucial battleground:... I feel so unclean, so impure, for having given away something so precious to someone so undeserving." The warnings in my book were not enough. Perhaps the warnings in this young woman's letter-the voice of sad experience, authentic, all too familiar-will be enough to keep some reader out of bed till God gives him/her in marriage to the one of his choice. Virginity is the gift you only give once.

"A friend recommended Passion and Purity. I refused to read it at first, thinking a book with a title like that could only have been written by a thirteenth century nun or something! But the Holy Spirit was faithful to convict. It changed my heart and started me on a potato-chip syndrome through your books (i.e., I couldn't stop after just one)."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, therefore just leave a little message at the end if you would prefer your comment not to be published!