Monday, March 21, 2011

1985 March/April issue Part 1

The Suffering Of Divorce

Many Christians now seem to regard divorce as an option, even when adultery is not involved. If they are not "comfortable" with their spouse, if they are "under too much pressure," if the grass looks greener elsewhere (which, given our usual distorted view of happiness, it generally does), they simply opt out. Untold suffering is always the result. As I travel around, I meet many of the victims. What can I say to them? I've never been divorced. I can only watch the effects, listen to the tragic tales, try to give help and comfort as it is asked for.
One thing I can say with confidence to these suffering people is, "I don't know what you're going through. But I know the One who knows." I also know from scripture, from reading the works of many who have walked the pathway of suffering and learned from it, and from some experiences of my own, that the Lord wants to transform every form of human suffering into something glorious. He can redeem it. He can bring life out of death. Every event of our lives, even so terrible a thing as divorce, provides an opportunity to learn the deepest lesson anyone can learn here on earth: "My present life is not that of the old 'I,' but the living Christ within me" (Gal 2:20, J.B. Phillips). In order for Christ to live His life in me, the self-life must be brought down to death. Death comes to us in many forms before we actually breathe our last, but as in the case of the wheat seed which falls into the ground, God's marvelous purpose is to bring life out of that buried thing. He can do it. Only He can do it. But He asks our acceptance of the painful process and our trust that He will indeed give resurrection life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, therefore just leave a little message at the end if you would prefer your comment not to be published!