Sunday, January 16, 2011

1983 November/December issue Part 5

Letters

“Just read your article ‘Working Mothers.’ My daughter has a master’s degree in education but has not taught school since her children came. It has been hard for them to live these six years on one salary, but they had agreed she would stay at home with the children. She loves it- keeping things in order, being available to do things as a family. They have very little money but the Lord looks after them and they know it. Last winter little Patrick was in hospital. Their insurance did not cover everything, and the father is working very hard to pay off the bills. Jeanie has lots of pressure from friends. Sometimes she wonders if she should go back to teaching, dropping her children off with a babysitter. In her heart she knows she can’t. She would be tired at night, have papers to grade, lesson plans to make, and her thought would be on tomorrow at school. Her own children- their baths and bed time stories and prayers- would suffer. If a mother has to work I think the lord will help if you rely wholly upon Him. But it’s not easy, letting Him be in control and trying to balance a job and a family. Thanks for the article.”

“I wish you could briefly address the question of wives being thankful for their husbands’ gifts- acceptance, even praise for, the ‘90% that’s right about the gift, not the 10% that’s wrong’- size, color, etc. my husband gave me a box of cigars, an electronic pinball machine, and miniature electric drill for our first Christmas. I’ve learned some valuable lessons about the nature about love since I burst into tears that Christmas. This year the gifts were the same, but the smiles and gratitude’s were genuine. I found that accepting his gifts with both hands helps me to see him grow taller and taller. It is not that I’m blind to his faults, but my eyes are wide open to his virtues. Bless the Lord, I’ve found that ‘ice water’ is as deadly to husbands as it is to plants!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, therefore just leave a little message at the end if you would prefer your comment not to be published!