Saturday, January 22, 2011

1984 January/February issue Part 4

News of the Aucas

A clipping was sent to me last summer telling of the Ecuadorian government’s granting title to the Auca Indians of some 66,000 hectares. This means that they will be allowed to live, hunt, and fish in that area. The Indians, said the newspaper, had “refused to understand” that the government would “give” them property which had always been the absolute possession of their ancestors. I can well imagine the bewilderment. I can picture the attempt to get them to participate in the official program when the Minister of Agriculture presents the title to them. It’s a rerun, I’m afraid, of North American history. As a tribe the Aucas are doomed.

Recommended Reading

William Kirk Kilpatrick: Psychology Seduction, Thomas Nelson, 1983.
This is a book I’ve been waiting for. The author shows how psychology and Christianity are not by any means always compatible. Psychological jargon has infected the thinking of many Christians (“self-image,” for example, has become as important as salvation; theism has been replaced by me-ism). Our society, Christian and otherwise, Kilpatrick shows, has been seduced. I want to say to everybody, “Drop everything and read this!” we need to be alerted to the ways in which the world around us squeezes us into its own mold. We need to start over and learn to think “Christianly.”

Letters Received

"You'll be happy to know that i turned over my tardy habits to my Sunday School class to the Lord. That alone was a struggle. But he has helped me one Sunday at a time to be on time. So i have not been late since the conference. So now i am trying to add next Sunday to the list."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, therefore just leave a little message at the end if you would prefer your comment not to be published!