Thursday, February 10, 2011

1984 May/June issue Part 4

Questions and Answers

Considering the fact that you worked with In-
dians in the jungles of Ecuador and now live in an
academic community in Massachusetts, you ob-
viously have experienced many changes. What
things should one keep in mind when facing
change?
Circumstances make no difference at all to:
    
1. Jesus Christ, who is the same yesterday,
today and forever
2. His power, always available through prayer
3. His purpose for me-that I reflect His image,
live for his glory
4. My job-to love Him and make Him loved
   
Paul wrote, "I have learned to find resources in
myself whatever my circumstances. I know what
it is to be brought low, and I know what it is to
have plenty. I have been very thoroughly ini-
tiated into the human lot with all its ups and
downs-fullness and hunger, plenty and want. I
have strength for anything through Him who
gives me power." (Phil. 4:11-13, New English Bible)
I have found, too, that when the Lord opens a
new door, He closes the one behind. I must leave
it closed, forget what is behind, press on toward
the goal, "the prize of the high calling of God."
Those who refuse to let go of the past stultify
present opportunities, and stunt spiritual growth.
The rules Andrew Murray made for himself 
have helped me:
1. He brought me here, it is by His will I am in 
this strait place: in that fact I will rest.
2. He will keep me here in His love, and give me
 grace to behave as His child.
3. He will make the trial a blessing, teaching
me the lessons He intends for me to learn, and
working in me the grace He means to bestow.
4. In His good time he can bring me out again-
how and when He knows. Let me say I am here:
1) by God's appointment
2) in His keeping
3) under his training
4) for His time.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, very good points made by Elisabeth...

    "I have found, too, that when the Lord opens a
    new door, He closes the one behind"
    Never thought that our holding up to certain things has actually bigger consequences such as "stultifying present opportunities, and stunting spiritual growth".
    Well, well, living and learning!!!
    In Christ Alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, really good points- really makes one think!:)
    Just realised i missed the end of this article, as it was on the next column! Here is the rest;


    3. He will make the trial a blessing, teaching
    me the lessons He intends for me to learn, and
    working in me the grace He means to bestow.
    4. In His good time he can bring me out again-
    how and when He knows. Let me say I am here:
    1) by God's appointment
    2) in His keeping
    3) under his training
    4) for His time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, therefore just leave a little message at the end if you would prefer your comment not to be published!