Thursday, February 17, 2011

1984 July/August issue Part 3

Lord of All Seasons

Last April I spoke to a group of women in
Florida about Jesus Christ being "Lord of All
Seasons." The topic was their choice, and I found 
myself, as usual, tested along the very lines on
which I was going to speak. During the previous
week, Lars and I had learned that all twenty-eight
of the nice new (and very expensive) windows we
had installed in our new house leaked. I was
anxious about many things- my mother's health
(she has had more falls lately, forgets things
more), my coming grandchild, a new word pro-
cessor, which I wasn't sure I was smart enough to
learn to use, and (alas!) a tooth which seemed
about to fall out. What a list of varied things to
worry about.
But Jesus died for me! He's risen and coming
again! He has given me   an inheritance that
nothing can "destroy or spoil or wither" (1 Pt 1:4)
and a kingdom which is unshakable (Heb 12:28).
That's the gospel. Has it anything to do with
leaking windows, computers, grandchildren,
teeth? Well, I told myself, if it hasn't, you've got no
business getting up in front of those women and
opening your mouth at all. If I can't give thanks,
trust, and worship the Lord in every "season," in
the face of any set of facts which may touch my
life, I am not really a believer. It is here, in my
corner (or your corner) of God's earth, that I am
assigned my lessons in the School of Faith.
P.S. Later: They fixed the windows for us, but now we find that all four of the outside doors must be fixed. God isn't finished with us yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, therefore just leave a little message at the end if you would prefer your comment not to be published!